Monday, October 11, 2010

Any Given Sunday

At Bethany, every Sunday brings something new. You have to be on your toes to keep up! Last Sunday, October 3, I had the chance to play the role of "Pastor" in some unusual ways. It was a Sunday full of unexpected worship venues, and extra-ordinary worship participants.

The Holy Day began on the light rail to downtown Denver. I was headed to participate in the Komen Race for the Cure. Our congregation was represented by around 70 walkers! The total gathered that morning numbered over 50,000. I had the honor of praying a blessing over our Bethany team before we hit the starting line for the 5K walk. And, although I managed to lose most of the group over the course of the walk, I was overwhelmed by the power of God working through community, solidarity, and the human spirit to survive, thrive, and celebrate in the face of great pain, loss, and struggle. I was proud to be Pastor among a congregation who believed their steps can bring hope and effect change. What a beautiful act of worship, under the tabernacle of an autumn morning sky.

Next, I hurried to catch the 10:30 worship service in the setting of our more traditional sanctuary. I was surely the only congregation member dressed in hot pink running shorts and a pink sequined headband that morning...or maybe in the history of worship at Bethany.

The morning of unusual ministry ended with a worship service for those who usually aren't allowed in sanctuaries---our four-legged, two-finned, animal friends. The Blessing of the Animals is a fall ritual at Bethany, and our courtyard became a holy place for those who feel a special connection to a friend with fur or scales...and their furry, scale-y friends as well! Hymns of praise mingled with barks of joy, and the peace was passed in a most unusual way among those canine worshipers who greeted each other with inquisitive sniffs.

We sang, we prayed, we listened to a message from "St. Francis of Assisi." Then humans and animals lined up together to receive a blessing--for health, life, friendship, and good things to chase.

I made friends with a particularly loveable goldendoodle named Tucker. I wondered as I posed for a photo if the pastoral alb I was wearing had ever had such an exciting outing from its home in the sacristy closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment