Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Snow no!


Oh the weather outside is frightful...

It's way too early to be singing Christmas carols. In fact it's against my strictly enforced rule of "nothing Christmassy until after Thanksgiving." But the (very large) softly falling snowflakes outside the church windows are putting me in a roasty toasty winter snuggle up mood.

And then on the other hand, that same blanket of fresh white stuff is also putting me into winter panic mode. You see, I come from a land Up North. Where the first snow fall signals the onset of six or seven months of frozen tundra survival. In fact, I grew up learning how to drive on ice (a handy skill actually), since the streets were never really plowed down to the concrete from December through March.

But my friends in the church office assure me: winter in Denver is different. I ask them over and over, unable to hide my anxiety, "So, you're sure this stuff won't stick around?" And they laugh and say I could probably be swimming outdoors next week. I'll believe it when it happens. Although it is reassuring that no one else around here seems to be fretting about the fact that that white stuff is accumulating out there.

So I guess I'll do my best to sink into the snuggle up-ness of this first wintry night, and avoid ordering a UV lamp and signing up for the Seasonal Affect Disorder support group just yet. A tv dinner, cozy pajamas, a mug of Tension Tamer tea, and season 3 of Mad Men on dvd are on tap for me tonight. As for that snow, I'll enjoy it while it lasts...and I won't be sad to watch it melt...hopefully sooner than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment