Thursday, December 2, 2010

My First Newsletter Article

So it may be a little hokey or Old Lutheran-esque, but I decided to go the hotdish and Jell-o route in recruiting students for my Foundations of Lutheranism adult ed course coming up this January. If you're a member of Bethany, or you live in the Denver area and want to check it out, please come and join us as we explore the dynamics of being a Lutheran. If not, go ahead and have a laugh at this, my first Beacon (newsletter) article. I'll have to see if a pot luck might be a possibility for our last session or something similarly spectacularly Lutheran.


How Lutheran Are You?

I love being Lutheran! Now, I don’t just mean that I love Jell-o, hot dishes, Swedish meatballs, and Norwegian sweaters, but I love even more the way that we, as Lutherans, think about God, ourselves, and the world around us. Our particular expression of the Christian faith has so much to offer as we look for meaning and purpose in our lives and as we strive to answer the call to live as faith-filled people.

But how much do you really know about being Lutheran? You may be familiar with the standing and sitting, and sitting and standing as our liturgical workout, and you may know how to respond when someone says, “The Lord be with you” (and also with you). But still, you may wonder…

Why do we baptize babies when other denominations don’t?

How is it that the bread and the wine are Christ’s body and blood?

Can I really be both a saint and a sinner…at the same time?

What exactly am I supposed to get out of sermon?

And what’s with this whole ‘saved by grace’ thing anyway?

If you want to know more about our particular history, theology, and practice so that you can love being a Lutheran too, or fall in love all over again…

Join me, Intern Jess, Sundays in January as we overview the Foundations of Lutheranism.

We’ll meet in room 210 at 9:00am Sundays January 9, 16, 23, and 30.

And of course, there will be coffee.

1 comment:

  1. And some of us Lutherans KNEEL -- we were brought up on the East Coast. And some of us are used to, God forbid, BEER at church dinners (in the church!)[old German ALC]. But the beauty of Lutheranism is that it focuses on GRACE, not works.

    ReplyDelete